Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I just felted my first felt project today. It was an interesting experience. Because this is a relatively small project, I had to do it by hand instead of tossing it in the washing machine. So I'm scrunching the knitted item in as hot water as I can bear, having let it soaked five minutes first. And I'm thinking the whole time that this isn't working... it's way too big... I'm going to have to come up with some sort of back-up gift.

And then I notice my stiches are starting to disappear.

Okay, another ten minutes and this should be done. I pull it out and check it against what it has to fit around and it's about an inch too big. So I worked about another minute or so on it.

I could almost hear a 'schlooooooop' and I swear the water level dropped an inch.

I pulled it out and fitted it again. Now my thin knitting was nice and thick. And it fit the form nicely. I have to let it dry overnight and I'll see how it comes out. But it looks good so far. Pictures will be posted once it has been gifted.

I hope my other two felting projects go as well tomorrow.

No comments: